My alarm went off at 6:00 AM on Saturday the 13th of January, the day of my big Zennergy Studios mini retreat. With excitement and a bit of nervousness I got ready for the day. I looked outside and we had 6 inches of snow in the driveway.
When you live in upstate New York, 6 inches of snow isn't that bad. Of course, I also understood that those participants who had a long drive might not make it to the retreat today.
I set off on the road from my house up the hill to the studio space.... Then my car started to fish tail and I was nervous we wouldn't make it. Not only was there 6 inches of snow, but also ice underneath the snow. If I'm having a hard time making it to the studio at 6:30 AM and the snow plows haven't cleared the snow on the roads leading to the studio, how can I host this event?!
Of course cancelling and rescheduling an event you've been working on, advertising and cooking for is never what you want to do. Though, how in good consciousness, can I ask people to risk their lives driving to my studio for an event?!
By 7:00 AM I was back at my house texting, emailing and FaceBook messaging everyone who had reserved a spot in the retreat.
The overwhelming response?
Thankful for the cancellation. I let everyone know we would reschedule and hopefully they could make it.
We can't control the weather. We can't control a pipe bursting. There are millions of other circumstances that are out of our hands that we can't predict.
We CAN however control how we act in response to that situation.
I cancelled my event. I planned a new date and began the advertising again. Sure the food I prepped wouldn't make it to the new date and I take a small loss BUT everyone was safe.
One person I messaged THANKED me for cancelling. They wanted to support my event, but were afraid to drive due to the bad road conditions.
There comes a point where you have to make a decision that will impact your business, your life or the lives of others. Follow your intuition. People will understand.
THEN make the most of the situation. I have a few posters left over from the event promotion that I'm going to alter the date on and get back out there to advertise. Maybe we'll see a few people who couldn't make to the January date? My good friend, Kim, told me that this could be exactly what we needed to book every spot.
So do you look at the losses of cancelling an event due to something out of your control... OR do you make the most of it and put yourself back out there?
The actions that you take are in your control.
What do you choose?
P.S. - If you're interested our reschedule date is February 17th. ;)
(Photo by Byron Johnson on Unsplash)